Berzoras, village in western Lithuania, situated on the northern shore of Berzoras lake, 2 km south of Plateliai; in 1959 its population was 189 (326 in 1923). The village church, a Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. Stanislas, was built of hewn spruce logs in 1746; it is noteworthy architecturally and contains many valuable pieces of folk art. Square wooden chapels, each housing a Station of the Cross are located in the village and on the surrounding hills. In the 15th century Berzoras was site of an estate belonging to the Kesgaila, a magnate family. Since ancient times the inhabitants of the village have earned their living by selling fish caught in the nearby lakes (Plateliai, Berzoras, and Ilgis) as well as by selling berries and mushrooms picked in forests.
Samogitian Cultural Association Editorial
Page updated 2003.05.15 .
Comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org